The job search process is changing and employers are taking notice. Read these tips on what recruiters want you to know in 2019.
Looking for a job? Make your job search easier with these tips from recruiters!
- Research: No matter where you are on your career ladder, always research the company you intend to apply to. It’s important to understand what the company’s goals are as well as its culture to determine whether you would be a good fit.
- Be Patient: Technology may be faster, but that doesn’t mean humans are. It may take a while for an organization to get back to you after you apply online for a position, so it is important to be patient during the process.
- Remember Your Manners: Surprisingly, recruiters have mentioned that not all job seekers remember their manners. If you want to get ahead in the job search process, be polite. Being rude to a recruiter or hiring manager only creates a negative experience for the both of you.
- Return Phone Calls: Always return phone calls from an employer. Even if you may no longer be interested in the position you had applied for, you may be interested in one later. Not only is it polite to return a phone call, it also creates a positive relationship between you and the hiring manager.
- No Ghosting Allowed: A growing trend in employment is ghosting. Just like on dating apps, employers are finding that some job seekers don’t show up to their interviews or even their first day of work! Our advice: be someone an employer can rely on to show up and you’ve already got your foot in the door. Some industries are a tightly knit community and word can spread fast about negative experiences.
Want to learn more? Visit one of our career centers and meet with a career consultant!