This position provides overall management and technical direction to the IT staff, and is responsible for preparation and maintenance of the Division operating budget, the five-year Enterprise Technology Plan, Annual Work Plan, data communication systems, and day to day operations. Work is performed under general direction of the Assistant City Manager.
Essential Job Duties:
· Assists in the planning, design, engineering and administration of distributed computer systems to include wide and locale area PC networks (WAN/LAN) using the latest software and operating systems as well as interfacing distributed networks throughout the City facilities.
· Determines data system charges for equipment and utilization for financial records including budget preparation, maintains inventory records of technical manuals, network maps, lease and service agreement and status of purchased equipment.
· Plans and recommends modification or addition of machines, equipment and programs; may be performed in conjunction with a committee.
· Prepares equipment for operation; initializes disk, configures systems and load software; performs specialized operations such as system recoveries, system backup and assignment of passwords and other protection features.
· Plans, budgets, and coordinates the procurement and supervises the installation of all City telecommunications equipment. Experience in administering a telephone system is a plus.
· Directs, manages, and coordinates customer support and client relations within the City.
· Reviews departmental requests for technology and makes recommendations or alternative system options, as appropriate.
· Establishes written policies and procedures for information technology acquisition and utilization.
· Oversees the daily operational activities of technology systems.
· Establishes City-wide standards for information technology.
· Evaluates technology and makes recommendations to ensure compatibility and effectiveness.
· Provides management oversight with regards to various public information networks including City's web page, television channel, code red and e-mail newsletters.
· Provides technical assistance to City departments.
· Manages information technology customer support functions.
· Plans and evaluates the work of professional, technical and other support staff.
· Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
· Perform all functions and responsibilities according to the Palm Beach County Code of Ethics and Florida State Statutes 112.313.
· Fosters positive employee relations and employee morale.
· Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a closely related field required.
· Master's Degree preferred. Six (6) years' increasingly responsible experience in information technology, technical support and communications or related field with three (3) years in a supervisory or senior level.
· Experience with project management is preferred. Networking, security, web development and database certifications preferred.
· Knowledge of principles and practices of personal computers, telecommunications and information technology
· Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision, organization, administration and management
· Knowledge of IBM AS400 platform, and Microsoft operating systems
· Considerable knowledge of analyzing user needs, designing program and systems and implementing applications
· Knowledge of current developments in information technology.
· Possession of valid Florida driver's license and clean driving record.
· Ability to plan, organize and direct the work of a technical staff.
· Ability to communicate technical information effectively, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to communicate with others, assimilate and understand information and make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
· Ability to operated assigned equipment.
· Ability to prepare and monitor division budget.
· Leadership role in day-to-day operations of the information services functions.
· Ability to adapt to an evolving and continually improving environment.
· Requires demonstrated ability to utilize personal computer and office software such as MS Work, MS excel and electronic mail.
A comparable combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position, may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.