Highly responsible technical, management and administrative work in directing and managing the City's Human Resources (HR) Department. Responsible for setting and maintaining a strategic HR mission and vision for the City. This includes having responsibility for all employee and labor relation matters, including collective bargaining contract negotiations, employee benefit programs, group health insurance, recruitment and selection, performance management program, compensation management, leadership and learning development initiatives, career pathing/succession planning compliance with employment and labor laws and regulations and participation in union negotiations. Manages the HR staff and reports to the City Manager.
Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
· Plan, organize, coordinate, direct, and evaluate programs and services for the Human Resource Department.
· Develop programs and policies to effectively administer the City's employment and training programs.
· Direct the classification, recruitment and selection of qualified personnel.
· Present data supporting recommendations to the City Manager.
· Monitor the City's employment program for compliance with federal and state regulatory agencies.
· Administer City's Affirmative Action Plan and respond to EEOC complaints and liability claims.
· Serve with outside labor counsel as City's bargaining team for contract negotiation with its bargaining units.
· Make presentations to City Manager, City Commission, and at times to the public on HR related issues.
· Supervise the review of budget requests for new positions and reclassification of existing positions.
· Assess requests to approve job titles, job descriptions and pay grade allocations.
· Develop and maintain the City's classification and pay plan and recommend changes when necessary, requested, and/or deemed appropriate.
· Direct, present, and interpret Human Resources Policies, and Civil Service Rules and Regulations to departmental officials, employees, and other interested parties.
· Counsel employees, department heads and represent the department to the City Manager, Commission and City to the public.
· Participate in employee disciplinary and grievance hearings and make recommendations to the City Manager. Acts as hearing officer for grievance hearings.
· Establish and refine long term and short term department goals, objectives, schedules and accomplishments on an on-going basis.
Veterans' Preference Applies
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in Human Resources, psychology, business or public administration.
· Master's Degree desired.
· A minimum of ten (10) years; experience of a progressively responsible nature in human resources management, labor relations and group health insurance including experience in a technical capacity of public personnel work.
· Experience in being a part of a negotiation team for collective bargaining negotiations.
· SPHR certification preferred.
· Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal human resources operations.
· Knowledge of laws, ordinances, rules and regulations relating to municipal personnel.
· Ability to prepare written and oral reports and presentations.
· Proficiency with PC's, word processing and spreadsheet applications.
· Ability to manage and prioritize routine, specialized and complex assignments and problems utilizing knowledge acquired through prior education, training, and experience.
· Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Excellent presentation skills.
· Ability to adapt to an evolving and continually improving environment.
· Demonstrate ability to utilize personal computer and office software such as MS Word, MS Excel and electronic mail.